Sunday, January 11, 2009

sound off like you got a pair.

I'm not sure if it's the number of people that I know that were raised catholic, or if it's just that my generation seems to be apologetic for no real reason...but in an increasing number of individuals I have found that during conversation, the words "I'm sorry" are spouted off compulsively.
This makes me wonder if the over all self worth of these people is lacking. Do they really think that EVERYTHING is their fault, or are they simply trying to passively manipulate the conversation? Even with a severe sense of self loathing combined with narcissism, a person couldn't possibly take credit for every little thing that rubs me the wrong way.
Basically, what they are saying is insincere. I've actually had more instances than I can count in which I pointed out to an individual that they apologized a few times an hour during conversation. These people cannot have a realistic opinion of themselves, and they certainly can't mean it when they apologize, or even really know what they are apologizing for. I find this unsettling.
Personally, I deliberately will not apologize without feeling that something was actually my fault, though like so much of the country I work in a customer service industry. I value myself too much for that. I also don't say please and thank you unless someone is actually helping me out or at least seems to remotely give a shit.
People need to value themselves a bit more, I think. On the other side of the coin, people need to value other people more, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment